Interested in buying a griddle to take all the hassles out of cooking? Here are a few things to look for to help you choose the right one.
In the beginning. I mean way back, the Scots had griddles that were made of wrought iron. Those primitive griddles had to be heated up with coal or wood, long before the food was put on to cook.
Fast forward to modern day griddles; Blackstone saves the day. And the camping cooking experience.
These are the Top 3 Camping Griddles
- Blackstone Table Top Grill (Click to check current price on Amazon) Blackstone is the brand name, so if it’s your turn to cook you won’t be disappointed in Blackstone Griddle.
- Char – broil Griddle (Click to check current price on Amazon) The Char Broil is a close second to the Blackstone. If you choose this you’ll still be happy that you made the right decision.
- Royal Gourmet – (Click to see current price on Amazon) This is your Budget option. A cheaper model, Less overall cooking space. But still has nice features.
- If my top 3 picks are out of your budget. Try the budget friendly Presto griddle.(Link to Amazon) That was the first griddle I ever used. The down side of it is that it only works off of electricity.
Why I Picked the Blackstone Table Top Griddle
When you sit and compare different griddles. There are some differences, that make getting the job done faster.
- The Blackstone offers portability. This is a table top griddle. Small enough to take anywhere. Yet big enough to cook a lot of pancakes at one time. And it does it quick!
- If your camping just with two people or even more. The Blackstone Table top griddle is perfect. There is a lot of space to cook on. I have in the past, cooked in a frying pan for a lot of people. And breakfast took forever to get cooked. But after getting the Blackstone the time was cut in half.
- The Blackstone has two controls. This is perfect for cooking the eggs on one side. And still keeping the bacon warm on the other side.
- Another plus is this griddle runs off of propane. Which makes it nice and easy to carry the bottles to the campground. You can attach the 1 lb bottles to it. They are very inexpensive, and they are sold in a set of two.
- There are accessories that you can get for the Blackstone.
- The Cleanup is quick and so easy.
Features to look for in a Quality Camping Griddle
- Size – What size is the cooking surface. You want it to be at least 22 inches or more. The perfect cooking surface is one that can cook efficiently. More cooking surface equals less time.
- Cooking quadrants – A quality griddle has more than one cooking section. This allows for not only an even cooking surface. But allows all your foods to be cooked at the same time. And nothing will burn.
- Faster Cooking Time – Adjustable heat zones for faster cooking time.
- Portability – For camping you need easy portability. A Grill big enough to get the job done. But still small enough to take with you everywhere.
- Quality Material – Made of Cold Rolled Steel, Stainless Steel or Chrome Steel.
What can You Cook on a Griddle when Camping
If you can think of it you can make it on a griddle. It is great and easy clean up. Once you get your griddle the grill will take a back seat. You can cook a lot of things on a griddle. Here are just a few ideas. That are quick and easy. Really your going to love how quick and easy the Blackstone makes cooking.
- Bacon & Eggs
- Hash browns
- French toast
- Hot dogs
The Camping Stand Comes in Handy
Why use a table when you can use the Blackstone stand. This is specifically made for the griddle. And it is portable too. The legs fold down so that it fits nice and neat in your vehicle.
This is as durable as the griddle. The stand is made out of metal. And has additional surface space to assist with your cooking.
About Camping Griddles
A Griddle is great for camping or even a back yard party. The flat surface makes it very easy to cook evenly. Unlike a grill, where you are having to deal with the flexibility of a flame.
Griddles can be heated with electric, gas or fire. The Blackstone is perfect for the campsite. It attaches to propane. So whether the campground has electric or not. You will never have to worry. Your all set with the Blackstone.
With the griddle the clean up is simple.
The best time to clean the Blackstone is when it is warm. Use a spatula to scrape off any excess grime. Push any grease or crumbs to the back of the griddle. Where there is a special built in grease box. That can be emptied later.
After you have scraped off the top of the griddle. Take some water and spray it or pour it on the surface of the griddle. Then begin scraping again. Pushing all the grime and water to the back of the griddle and out the back. Where there is a special compartment for the grease & Grime.
Periodically if there is a build up on the surface of the griddle. You can take a cold grade scrub pad. And apply water & clean the surface. Apply more water and use a cloth to dry the surface.
(Make sure the surface is cooled off sufficiently)
Then take cooking oil and apply and put it on the surface of the griddle. Use a cloth and rub the oil onto the surface. Now it’s ready for the next time, your ready to cook.